Hoisting system is basically used on several machines such as cranes, elevators and hydraulic jacks for lifting or moving objects or people from one place to another. The equipment that is used for hoisting is called hoisting equipment. They are used on cranes for vertical lifting of loads that are heavy or freely suspended. The amount of load that can be lifted depends on their construction.
Types of Hoisting Equipment
There are different types of hoisting equipment which are as follows:
- Pulley and Sheave Block: A pulley may be found in the form of an axle, a wheel or a shaft. It has been designed in such a way that it can help change the direction of a belt or cable long that is wound along its circumference. The hoisting equipmentcan be used in different ways for applying loads, transmitting power and lifting loads. Block refers to the total assembly of supporting shell, axle and wheel. A pulley which has grooves around itself between flanges is known as sheave. Generally, pulley uses chains as well as wire ropes for lifting heavy objects. Alloy chains are a suitable option for pulley. The only drawback of this equipment is that the hook attached to the pulley straightens and requires frequent monitoring.
- Chain Hoist: This hoisting equipmentconsists of two chains namely hand chain and load chain. Hand chain is applicable to isolated location devoid of electric motors or other mechanical equipment. The pull from hand chain is transmitted to load chain. The load is carried by load hook with the support of a stronger support hook. The four widely known chain hoists operated by hand are pull lift, spur geared, differential and screw geared.
- Mobile Crane: This equipment is meant for lifting heavy loads on construction sites particularly used in coal mines and ships as well as in trucks. They are used for both loading as well as unloading.
- Winch: The hoisting equipment is applicable for either raising or lowering an object. It is cylindrical in shape with rope or chain wound around it. They are of two types- hand and power winches.
- Tower Crane: This is used for the construction of skyscrapers and is designed in such a way that it suits the purpose. The tower’s height ranges from 25 to 30 meters. It requires small ground area to operate.
- Whirler Crane: This equipment contains a rotating structure with an outer framework. It is an assembly of stationary as well as mobile unit. It consists of two motors which are placed diagonally opposite to each other. While the rear end supports the counter weight, the front end takes the boom.
- Derrick Crane: Such hoisting equipment can be subdivided into two types namely guy derrick and stiff leg derrick. The former consists of a vertical mast supported by guys with the ability to revolve 360 degrees. In the later ones trussed structure replaces the guy wires. They can carry loads up to 50 tons.
- Gantry Crane: This one is indispensable in factories and workshops. This one is used for carrying machinery for repair from fabrication place to the assemblage place.
Advantages of Hoisting Equipment
Hoisting equipmentcan be used in different industries some of which are chemicals, automotive, manufacturing, newspaper, steel, warehousing, etc. They can be easily customized as per one’s requirements. It reduces labor charges andreduces accidentsand other on-site injuries. It is capable of refitting for enhancing lifting capacity for being portable. It can be used both indoor and outdoor and is the most cost-effective way of hauling heavy loads. It also reduces damage caused to the products.